Master of Social Work
Northern Kentucky University's Master of Social Work program has a mission statement appropriate for advanced social work practice and is consistent with Council on Social Work Education accreditation standards.
Program Mission Statement
The Social Work program educates competent and ethical Master of Social Work graduates who demonstrate leadership and social work values in their communities and their profession, toward advancing social and economic justice.
The mission statement reflects the profession's purpose of promoting human and community well being by preparing competent professionals who are leaders in the profession and community. Social work values are reflected in the mission statement particularly emphasizing competence, ethics, and social and economic justice.
The program's mission is the foundation for the goals and outcomes of the curriculum. By operationalizing this mission, the program will implement a comprehensive curriculum that is grounded in the profession's history, purpose, and values. The curriculum is based on a body of social work knowledge and skills. The student outcomes are derived from the program's mission enables graduates to integrate this knowledge toward competent practice.
There are five program goals derived from the mission statement's key ideas as follows:
- The curriculum provides students with advanced knowledge and skills sufficient for autonomous professional practice and leadership in the profession.
- The curriculum provides advanced social work knowledge underpinned by current evidenced based practice, to enhance students' cognitive abilities, and competencies relevant to the profession.
- The curriculum educates social work practitioners who are ethical, critical thinkers engaged in ongoing inquiry, and life-long learning.
- Faculty promotes and supports research and knowledge development to promote social justice; and, to improve the effectiveness of social work practice, policies, and programs.
- Faculty engages students in leadership activities that contribute to the social work profession, Northern Kentucky University, the region, and the global community to advance social and economic justice.
Today the Veterans Administration employs approximately 9000 social workers. The VA, each military service and other state agencies provide a wide variety of social work services to active duty, National Guard and veteran personnel. The MSW is an ideal graduate degree to assist current and returning veterans begin a new career or face challenges after their military service. If you are a veteran consider getting an MSW—we know you have the willpower to succeed and never quit attitude. An MSW degree from NKU will change your life and that of your family. Your military experience provides insights that will help fellow soldiers, sailors, and marines retool for civilian life. By attending Northern Kentucky University you can be assured that you are in a Veteran Friendly environment and that your needs are our top priority. Let us help you discover what NKU has to offer you and how you can become a part of the NORSE FAMILY. There is also an organization which provides free mental health services to military personnel and families affected by the current conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. For additional information on this organization please visit them at: http://www.giveanhour.org/