Earning a BSW Degree
- Declare Social Work as a Major. Link to change of major form. Link to advisor.
- Students may declare social work as a major but must complete a selective admission process to acquire acceptance into the social work program. Applications are accepted in all semesters. The requirements to submit application for admission are as follows: link to social work student handbook and NKU catalog:
- Declared major in Social work
- Minimum overall GPA of 2.75
- Completion of the following courses with a grade of C- or higher in all social work and general education courses (students may submit application in the semester that they are enrolled into the last of these required courses):
- SWK 105 SOCIAL WORK AND THE COMMUNITY
- SWK 106 INTRODUCTION TO SOCIAL JUSTICE
- SWK 460 ETHICS AND ADVOCACY
- 3 HRS BIOLOGY (BIO 123, 125, 126, 120, 208, or 209)
- 3 HRS STATISTICS (STA 205 or 113)
- Demonstration of an interest in, and aptitude for, a social work career.
- Submit admission application in the semester students are enrolled into the last of the above courses.
- Conduct compliant with NASW Code of Ethics and NKU Student Code of Rights and Responsibilities.
Social Work Program Degree Process:
Students successfully accepted into the social work program begin Social curriculum consisting of 43 hours of courses which includes 400 hours of field instruction.
|Spring Semester||Fall Semester|
|SWK 307 Human Behavior/Social Environment II||SWK 303 Professional Interactional Skills|
|SWK 308 Social Work Research||SWK 304 Human Behavior/Social Environment I|
|SWK 310 Families and Groups||SWK 305 Social Work Practice: Generalist Model|
|SWK 405 Community Organization||SWK 407 Social Welfare Policy|
|3 hrs Social Work Elective Course||3 hrs Social Work Elective Course|
|SWK 406 Field Instruction I|
|SWK 408 Field Instruction II|
|3 hrs Social Work Elective Course|